Thursday, January 11, 2007

Stupid Fingers

It's the oddest thing but I can keep my mouth shut because (and you may not believe this) I am a rather shy person when in person. I like talking and meeting new people but I'm reserved until I know them better so I usually think before I speak.

Not so on-line and it's gotten me into trouble a couple of times. The good part is that relatively speaking, it's the good kinda trouble.

It happened with Cheatin' Hearts and again the other night. At my publisher's weekly chat, I opened my big mouth--or rather let my fingers ramble and typed to my editor a few minutes after she mentioned one of the genre lines were slow that "Oh, I just got an idea!" That's it, that's all I wrote and pretty much at the exact same time the thought occurred. She immediately types back to write up a paragraph and send it to her.

What was I gonna say? No, sorry, I don't have a paragraph or story line, just a one-liner in my head. Uh, I don't think so. So there I was having to think up a story-line that night. Cripes! They usually come to me over weeks, not hours! Somehow I managed to create something and sent it to her. Just my luck, she loved it and gave it a go-ahead.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled, and not complaining--more laughing because my wayward fingers just added another project onto the two I already have going. Could they have waited another month before typing the fateful words--no. Could they have just frozen over the keyboard and waited for a break in my schedual--no. I had to type it and now I have to write it within a timely manner--that's where I kick myself. Not for my stupidity for suggesting an idea without it thoroughly thought out first, but because I now have another time crunch involved after just finishing a time-sensitive piece.

So, here I go again.

Stupid fingers.

11 comments:

  1. I've stuck my foot in my mouth a time or two!! I think its really neat the relationship you seem to have with your editor, though. She has faith in you and that has to feel good :) I hope your knew idea grows quickly for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of "let your fingers do the walking" but this puts a whole new spin on things.

    Actually, I've typed things in blogland that I would never say in person. I think it's that "What? They're going to come find me here?"

    Good luck on the project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I know what you mean. I've really tried to keep that kind of stuff a secret.
    I remember I got pulled into an IM chat and an editor was in the chat.
    Having no idea who she was (cause I don't ask. der) I rambled away saying whatever.
    Luckily, whatever I said wasn't horrible because she's still speaking to me.
    lol. I often forget who people are online so I try not to shoot my mouth off. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Stacy! My blog moved with the new blogger and a new email address, too. It's at:

    http://sarahideaphoria.blogspot.com/

    Or - you can probably click on my profile now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm famous for that. But what can you do? And look, you made a possible sale out of it! *Grin*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've done that a time or two. It sure gives you a huge rush of energy to get it done, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL I wish I could get my fingers moving a lil' faster!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with the new project. We all know it'll be fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey that's not a bad thing is it? LOL

    Good luck on the writing project - I'm sure you'll do FABULOUS!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh sweetie, you can't help it if you're so fabulous the editor wants, nay, needs to hear your awe-inspiring ideas! You should feel proud that you rock to such a level. I know I would be. ;) Besides, we get more of you, how is that a bad thing? *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh man, do you all know how to make a girl blush or what! Thank you all for the major vote of confidence.

    To tell you the truth, this project is turning out to be hilarious. I hope it ends up on paper as funny as it is in my head---or maybe I just need my head checked LOL

    ReplyDelete