Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Fluidity

I want to be a mermaid. I think I've always wanted to be a mermaid. The water makes them look so majestic and graceful (two things I am not LOL).

The fluidity of a mermaid swimming is amazing...just look at the detail of the tail fin above. It's what I want for my writing and what is the hardest part to break through for me. I want my words to be perfect and fluid from the get-go....but more often than not, that doesn't happen. Writing is a process...get the words down on paper, add to them, fill them, evolve them, detail them and finally proof them. Oh, it all works out in the end, the process works no doubt but the thing all new writers--and a lot of us who've been at it awhile need to remember is that it doesn't come out perfect the first time, it's not supposed to. For me, at least, the words may be put on paper but it's those second, third and even fourth drafts of chosing the right actions, the right atmosphere, the right words that really make those words into a fluid story.

So remember--trust the process, it might be slow but slow and steady wins the race....and makes a simple story into a majestically fluid tale that will let your readers fall into it and take it with them far after the last word is read.

1 comment:

  1. I'm too claustrophobic! I never could learn how to swim because I panic when the water closes in around my face!

    ReplyDelete